Extracurricular Reflection (-ish)

Today, I just wanted to discuss some of the clubs I've been a part of here at MIT. The main three I want to talk about are Rocket Team, HMMT, and ESP. I just wanted to reflect upon what I've done in each of these clubs. This will be a slightly longer post than usual, which is why I'm writing it now, during 6.042 and 6.009 Recitation instead of while I'm half asleep at 4 AM in the morning.

Rocket Team:
          Let's just get the elephant in the room out of the way. Yeah... I basically ghosted them. Haven't been to one since November, and I still feel quite bad to this day. I think the main reason why was that I just did not feel like I was of any use to them. Making friends was... not easy at all, so I just didn't know how to ask for help because I have the social skills of a slab of rock.
          Even as of now, however, I'm unsure whether I'm really completely done with Rocket Team. I still have access to all of the files, so I could contribute something if I wanted to, but with my six classes happening and me joining ESP... yeah... I doubt it. Of course, I will update here if in the slimmest of chances I do something, but as of now, all I can say is that I don't regret trying out new things. Sorry it didn't work out.

HMMT:
          As for HMMT, I'm not as active now for as I was at first, mainly because of time issues, but I still contribute quite a bit. I haven't really had the creativity to construct new problems, but I have been reviewing problems and will be proctoring and grading this weekend for the February tournament.
          Funny thing here is, my incompetency in math actually helped me be more useful for HMMT because I would be more able to judge any cleverness/bashiness of some of the easier problems that would have been trivial to the grizzled veterans of this team. This is something I do not plan on stopping in the near future.

ESP:
          And here we have the club that I have only been part of for less than a week.  Here, unlike with HMMT, I do not have experience directing, subdirecting, or doing any sort of logistics, but unlike Rocket Team, here I have people where I'm much more comfortable asking people for help (thx Cindy, Kate, LiXuan :)). Hopefully, this means that ESP is not going to end the same way as Rocket Team, and already, it seems some of my skills are starting to pay off. Here's the digitized version of the dragon and eggs I drew three days ago:

          Though I will not say for sure that I will stick with ESP, I am much more optimistic here than I was for Rocket Team.

Anyways, that's all I'll write for now. I should get back to paying attention to 18.03, since I'm actually learning stuff here.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

RSA, Exponents, Mods, a Giant Firehose of 6.042

Brain Dump

Playing Depression Quest