Playing Depression Quest

        Before I start my blog today, I will warn you that may or may not be discussion about mental illness, which may be a heavy topic. Proceed at your own discretion.

        Yesterday, Grace mentioned Depression Quest as a game she had to play for her CMS HASS class, among a bunch of other games I don't remember. Depression Quest is the one name I remember, mostly because the topic of depression is quite a heavy one (especially considering my aspiring major is Course 6-9). I actually ended making my persuasive speech for last semester's HASS class on depression awareness, so you can probably tell that depression (and mental illness in general) is of at least some importance to me.


        One of the things the game claimed to have in its full version, however, is a much more surreal presentation of what it feels for somebody with depression, including both change in photo color and staticky audio. I didn't really notice these aspects in the free version during my first playthrough, though now that I'm running through the game again (instead of listening to 6.042 lecture, I'll just rewatch the video lecture later), but now that I'm looking at the difference between two Netflix images right now, they really do look quite different (thanks a lot, change blindness). I haven't listened to the game yet, since my sound was off yesterday and putting on headphones in the middle of lecture seems disrespectful.

        However, this wasn't actually the thing I liked the most about this game, since seeing everything in duller colors (to me, at least) is something that many people probably already associate with depression. I think the most effective part of this game was when making the choices, seeing the crossed out red choices, emphasizing that depression isn't a choice, and despite the crossed out answers clearly being the best option if it were an option, they just aren't options. The wording of a lot of the options emphasize well how those with depression basically have to force themselves to do anything, instead of willing doing it. This one in particular shows very well how hard it is getting help:


        At some point, I would like to download the actual game and explore some of the alternative routes. Here, I just did what I thought/knew was the best way forward, knowing that while there may not be a "happy ending" per say, there was a better one. As for now, 6.042 is over and 8.02 is starting, so before I end the blog, I just wanted to tell you all that I'm here for you, and I know all of your other friends are too. Know when things are getting too much and try to be honest/open about when things are getting tough, and take yourself. Lastly, always know:


And with that, I've written a single blogpost across three hours. I finished the typing (except this paragraph) before 8.02, but wanted a pic of our 3C lounge quote to post as well.







Comments

  1. > Know when things are getting too much and try to be honest/open about when things are getting tough

    i feel it's sometimes hard to talk honestly about things that are tough because there's that feeling that if you can still manage it, it's not tough enough to seriously talk about, or that some things in the world are tougher than anything you might be going through; and it's just harder to talk out loud about serious things than write about serious things (for me anyways lol)

    but eyyy nice pic of 3C lounge wall, i approve

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel that. And even writing about it is hard (as you can see with one of my previous posts). As of now, I'm still practicing being more open, after essentially shutting myself off for so much of high school.
      Also, if it's easier for you to write about serious things, I would still suggest that. If nothing else, it will help all of us remember we're not alone.

      Delete
    2. i agree that some things are easier written than said, and some things are easier said than written. it kind of feels like we are all slightly different people when we communicate through different formats, but the weirdest part is that each of our selves is one person

      Delete
  2. > seeing the crossed out red choices
    this also stands out to me as something that's literally impossible to see unless it's directly presented to you. when people make these kinds of choices, you can't really tell what's happening because it's in a part of themselves that's hidden from you

    hope y'all are doing well, regardless of outside observers.
    thanks for posting~

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

RSA, Exponents, Mods, a Giant Firehose of 6.042

Brain Dump